Protective Services (Uniformed) has been added to My Courses

Loading...

Skip to main content

Course specifics

Entry Requirements

  • A minimum of 5 GCSEs at grade 4 or above (including English Language) Level 2 vocational qualifications (e.g. BTEC/OCR) must be a merit grade or above and only one will count as one GCSE equivalent
  • A GCSE in a humanities based subject is preferred

25%exams

75%coursework

Exam board: Edexcel

100%pass rate

This two-year vocational course is suitable for students with a general interest in the work of the Protective Services, and those who are aiming to pursue a career in any of the uniformed protective service organisations, including the Emergency Services and Armed Forces.

The course requires participation in a variety of activities including a residential trip, desk based scenarios and other team building tasks. You will also study a wide range of topics to better understand the shifting roles and responsibilities of a diverse range of protective service organisations.

You will develop many work-related skills, including leadership, teamwork, problem-solving, communication, planning, decision-making, presentation skills and report writing.

Students taking the Extended Certificate will complete four units over the two years. Those taking the Diploma will complete eight units over the same period.

Protective Services Open Event Presentation

Course Overview

The course requires participation in a variety of activities including desk-based scenarios and team-building tasks. Some external visits are possible throughout the course depending on circumstances. You will also study a wide range of topics to better understand the roles and responsibilities of a diverse range of protective service organisations

You will develop many work-related skills, including teamwork, leadership. Communication, planning, decision-making, presentation and report writing

Kelsey

Kelsey

Course Content

Course Structure – Students taking the Extended Certificate course will complete four units over the two years. Those taking the Diploma will complete 8 units over the same period.

Mandatory units

  • Citizenship and Diversity.
  • Behaviour and Discipline in the Uniformed Protective Services.
  • Physical Preparation, Health and Wellbeing.
  • Teamwork, Leadership and Communication in the Uniformed Protective Services.
  • Government and the Protective Services

Specialist Units

  • Introduction to Criminology
  • Police Powers and the Law
  • Developing Personal Fitness Programmes

Methods of Teaching and Learning

The course is taught by well-qualified and experienced staff. Students will learn through a variety of methods including presentations, scenario-based role-play, project work, guest speakers and practice examination questions.

Methods of Assessment

In the Diploma course, there is an externally marked examination each year equalling 25% of the course and the remaining 75% is internally marked coursework. For the Extended Certificate there is an externally marked exam in the first year equalling 25% of the course and the further 75% is coursework. These assignments are marked within the grade boundary of Pass, Merit and Distinction.

Resources

Students will have full use of the library, which includes textbooks, journals, CD-ROMS and careers literature. There is also a well-equipped gym for fitness training.

Progression

Many students go on to study related university courses such as Criminology, Policing Studies, Uniformed Protective Services, Nursing, Paramedic Science, Forensic Science, Rescue and Emergency Management, War Studies, Law, Psychology, Sociology and Politics.

Employment 

Apprenticeships are available in the Protective Services: e.g. Police, Fire, Ambulance, Probation Services, Youth Offending Teams, RAF, Army, Fire, and Rescue Services.

FAQs

close

loading