Tips For Staying Safe Online
The internet is a brilliant place to connect with others, to be creative and to discover new things, but please bear in mind the following top tips to help you stay safe when online:
- Protect your online reputation: manage your digital footprints and ‘think before you post.’ Content posted online can last forever and could be shared publicly by anyone.
- Know where to find help: understand how to report to service providers and use blocking and deleting tools. If something happens that upsets you online, it’s never too late to tell someone.
- Don’t give in to pressure: if you lose your inhibitions you've lost control; once you’ve pressed send you can’t take it back.
- Respect the law: use reliable services and know-how to legally access the music, film and TV you want.
- Acknowledge your sources: use trustworthy content and remember to give credit when using others’ work/ideas.
The UK Safer Internet Centre is a great website that has lots more information and resources to help you.
Please see below for specific advice on these social media platforms: