St Brendan's Language Centre enjoys valuable links with the University of Bath and the University of Bristol.
Through these links, our students benefit from a wider extra-curricular programme, a richer learning experience and are in turn much better equipped in making informed choiced about their future when they leave St Brendan's.
The University of Bristol
- For the past five years our Language Centre has worked very closely with the school of Modern Languages at the University of Bristol to run a mentoring programme for our students by PGCE language students from Bristol University. Over the course of two years, our students will have the opportunity to attend workshops at the University and experience two mock speaking oral exam sessions run by the PGCE students.
- The Access to Bristol Modern Languages programme is very popular amongst our Language students. Through this programme, students attend a series of sessions held at the University on Wednesday afternoons during the Autumn or Spring term. During these sessions they will get an idea of what it is like to study at the University, working with academics and current students who can offer advice and guidance about higher education and their subject area.
- In addition, during their A Level Languages course, students attend a variety of lectures covering and supplementing A Level content run by the University.
University of Bath
- As part of our enrichment calender, the Widening Participation Officer from the University of Bath- Ms Agnes Mason holds a talk in collge for our first year students. The aim of this talk is to inform students about the 'On Track to Bath Modern Foreign Languages Programme' - a free two-year curriculum enhancement programme for local A Level students to support entry to higher education. Students who opt to participate in this programme and are successful with their application will get the chance to gain first-hand experience of life at University (including a four-day residential stay on campus).
- The students will also benefit from regular sessions aimed at enhancing their subject knowledge, broadening their understanding and helping them achieve the grades that they need at A Level. Successful students will in turn be given additional consideration at the point of admission if they apply to a course at the University of Bath.
- Undergraduate Teaching Ambassadors from the University of Bath support A Level language students with their speaking practice. Working in collaboration with Bath University, St Brendan's Language centre welcomes a number of ambassadors on a regular basis. Through their visits and work with us, these enthusiastic undergraduate students are an invaluable asset to the MFL department in supporting our students.
- In addition, during their A Level Languages course, our students attend a variety of lectures and workshops covering and supplementing A Level content run by the University.
Students enjoy University talk