Are you worried about the costs of studying at college?
Apply for a College Bursary
Who can apply?
Applications are open to all students. If your parents/carers earn a combined income of less than £27,000 a year or are out of work you could qualify.
N.B. We don’t include benefits when we calculate your household income.
What can I get help with?
- Free Bus travel or Free College Coach travel. You can choose the transport option which is most convenient depending on where you live.
- Free College Meals (if the adults you live with are not working or are earning less than £7,400 per year)
- Help with course costs including kits for Art and Sport and compulsory trips.
**Students approved for a bursary award will still need to pay the refundable £60 college deposit.**
How to apply
Apply online via PayMyStudent Bursary Application
If you are applying before you have enrolled at college you need to click ‘Register’ under the heading ‘No Student number?’ The PayMyStudent portal will give you a temporary student number, use this to log into PayMyStudent until you have enrolled at college, after enrolment your 6 digit college ID number starting with ‘21’ will work.
What do I need to apply?
Complete the online form and provide evidence of your household income:
Choose ONE of the following options which applies to you:
If your parents/carers receive any of the following benefits - Income Support, Employment Support Allowance (income based) or Jobseekers Allowance (income based), Pension Credit please provide
- All pages of their most recent award letter dated 2021.
If your parents/carers receive Universal Credit you need to provide their last 3 monthly statements.
- Log in to your Universal Credit online account
- Go to ‘Payments’
- Click on the payment dates for the last 3 months and save each statement as a pdf or a series of screen shots (pdf is better if you can!) We need to see the whole statement from beginning to end and remember to provide 3 months statements, even if they are all the same.
- The image below shows an example of the evidence we need to see – Universal Credit Statement
If your parents/carers receive Child Tax Credit and or Working Tax Credit
- Provide your most recent Tax Credit Award letter from HMRC. This must be dated April 2021 or later. We need to see all pages
- Below is an example of the evidence we need to see - Tax Credit Letter
If you are in care or are a recent care leaver you could be eligible for up to £1,200 towards the costs of your studies. WE just need a letter from your Social Worker to confirm your care status.
If your parents/carers DO NOT receive Universal Credit or Tax Credit but have an income below £27,000 per year please provide
- Last 3 months full bank statements showing all transactions, and;
- Last 3 months pay slips, and;
- P60 for 2020-21
Important extra information
Apply as soon as you can. Your application can’t be backdated. When you have provided ALL the information we need it could take us up to 4 weeks to assess your application. Funds are limited and are allocated first come first served.
Bursary awards are dependent on you meeting the St Brendan’s College expectations in terms of attendance, behaviour and progress in your studies, these expectations are made clear when you start at College.
If you have any questions or need any help with your application form please complete the form below or email us on: